Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Little Drew...

Last week I realized that Drew was in need of a 4 year old check-up. No big deal, I made the appointment with my favorite physicians assistant and we went this morning. When we arrived and checked in, Drew immediately let the receptionist know that he was NOT getting shots today. While we were waiting to be called in, Drew paced the front hall entrance way, picketing, "No shots for Drew today". Now, from what I can remember about the 4 yr check-up from my previous two children is no shots are involved. I promised Drew, who was very concerned and worried, that he wouldn't have to get a shot. I was positive, I was sure of it. Shots happen the year of kindergarten, we still have a year...

He passed his physical with flying colors. The eye test, the hearing test, the balance and coordination tests, all body systems are functioning normally. He even enjoyed the "pee in the cup" test. For a boy, it's fun to NOT pee in the toilet. He was so brave for the finger stick blood test, didn't cry at all. As we were winding up our morning at the doctor's office, the nurseS came in with...today's vaccinations, FIVE OF THEM! For a second I thought Drew was going to pull a "Paul and Michael" and run out of the exam room in his shorts screaming. But we were quick, held him tightly and five shots were administered lickity-split. Two in one arm and three in the other. I'm sure the screaming cleared the waiting room and the office probably lost a few clients.

When all was said and done, Drew walked out with a t-shirt, a truck, a sticker and a lollipop. We headed to Target to fill Charlotte's RX for an ear infection and to get a new toy for being brave. He picked out two Bakugans. He is all set for school and will not need any further shots until he turns 11...don't tell my other son, who will be turning 11 in April, he's next!

No comments: