Monday, September 14, 2009

Last Oil Change...for a While!

Woo-Hoo! This morning I took our vehicle for an oil change and tire rotation...with Charlotte. You can already see where this is going. She and I for some quality mommy and me time. The others were at school. It is Monday, shouldn't be too crowded at the local tire and oil place near the house, most MEN take care of this stuff themselves or on a Saturday.

I called first, because I'm just not the "waitin' kind of gal", to see if they were very busy. I was told they were pretty quiet and it would be a good time for me to come on in. I wanted to get in and get out...an hour tops, right?

WRONG! When I arrived, there were 4 people in line in front of me...all wanting the same thing! I completely forgot for a moment that I live in the land of the retired. Older gentlemen think like women...I'll just go Monday morning and beat the crowds.

After an hour of playing, "Let's Try Our Hardest to Call China on Mom's Cell Phone", Charlotte and I decided to walk to the front...where our car was on a lift without tires...and I'm guessing no oil. I inquired how much more time it would take and was told by the invoice printer lady that she would find out. Thirty minutes later a greasy dude came out of the garage and said my tags were expired...IN JULY and my inspection sticker expired IN AUGUST. (I thought he was going to pull out the hand cuffs and book me and Charlotte downtown right then...(this is a little bit of PTSD from an "incident" that happened years earlier with the preschool carpool, a certain minivan, a husband gallivanting in Japan and an EXPIRED power of attorney...I didn't mention the fact the said preschoolers didn't understand the difference between "pulled over" and "arrested"). For a split second I thought I wouldn't be able to get my keys back from this guy until I could prove that I actually do have a current Power of Attorney that says I can do whatever I want to this car and that I can read despite this summer's vehicle transgressions...one more thing, I was afraid I was going to get yelled at for being 250 miles overdue on the oil change/tire deal work...(don't tell the desert dweller, he'll be upset.) Whew.

As it turned out, greasy guy changed the oil, rotated the tires and inspected the car. (He never said a thing about being late for it.) I still have to renew the tags...tomorrow. Hope the Dukes of Hazard don't catch up with me! All I can say is that the next oil change/tire rotation will be done by the man of the house...BTW, was he not home in July?

No comments: