Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grosser than Gross...

We lasted 9 months and a couple of weeks. My absolute WORST fear was realized...yesterday. I'm getting creeped out just thinking about it right now. MAGGOTS IN THE OUTSIDE TRASH CAN!

My son, Paul, is in charge of the trash. He brings it out nightly, brings it to the curb the night before pick up and returns the pails to their proper place after the trash has been collected. So, yesterday in a cleaning frenzy, I decided to clean out the garage. I created a couple of boxes of trash waiting to be put into the newly emptied cans once Paul came home from school, to finish his chore. I told him what needed to be done...and, like the good kid he is, he did it. About an hour later I went to throw one more thing out. I opened the lid and was greeted by MANY wiggly, white grains of rice. AHHHHH!

I reached for the bug spray and saturated the can, inside and out. No dice, they were now just wet, wiggly grains of rice. I then reached for the more powerful wasp killer spray...still alive and wiggling. What the heck...are they mutant or something?

I finally decided to get Paul, the virtual man of the house, and direct him as to what needed to be done. We both went outside armed with rubber gloves (that are now discarded), a gallon of bleach, a high power hose and my churning stomach. We...he, gingerly removed the boxes of trash and set them in the sun. We then turned on the hose, rinsed out the can, and poured in the ENTIRE gallon of bleach. When we dumped it out, in an inconspicuous area of the yard, about 15 giant earthworms surfaced and began to dance as well! This was like a scene out of the virtual horror movie in my head! (It was all I could do to not run down the street screaming with my arms flailing about).

Look, I'm a nurse, I have no trouble cleaning up the barf of strangers, watching an open hip replacement, assisting in a c-section, etc. But maggots...no way. That's where I draw the line. They no longer exist in my trash can, and they better never return!

No comments: