Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cookbooks Galore...

O.M.G...I had to stop what I was doing because I just couldn't believe the amount of cookbooks I have. I've started packing up the kitchen for our move and hidden in various cupboards and bookshelves I've found 62 cookbooks! (Yes, Christine, that required and exclamation point.) I don't even really use them. I do have a couple of favorites like The Joy of Cooking circa 1960-something with printed pencil drawings and it includes everything from how to boil an egg to how to process the goose liver for pate. It was my go-to reference book when we were first married and living in Okinawa. It was too difficult and too expensive to call mom and ask, "what cut of beef should I buy to make a roast beef?", or "how do I make a chicken paillard?" or "how do I butcher a deer"...I never read that chapter.

I also have a couple of Weight Watcher's cookbooks from before they switched to the Points system...yeesh! Some of my cookbooks came with appliances like The George Forman Grill, a.k.a. "The George", in context like "the oven"...we no longer own it, but somehow the cookbook remained. Same goes for the bread machine, and the sandwich press, although I don't think they make a regular sandwich press anymore, it's a panini press.

I also have a few reference books like, How to Repair Food...this was a Christmas gift the year I was married...I referred to it twice, yet somehow it keeps moving with us. Some were fundraisers,and some I actually purchased myself like every stinking Pampered Chef cookbook ever published up through the year 2000. I think I have one piece of stone cookware left and I hardly use it.

I even have a couple of cookbooks that I inherited, like Holly Hobbies Cookbook and the Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook. I have had these since I was a small child, I won't get rid of them...yet. They'll be passed on to my kids.

2 comments:

One Maid A' Milking said...

That does deserve an explanation point....starting with what the heck an explanation point is!!

Julie Weaver said...

oops...exclamation point...tired kid.